Wednesday, May 9, 2012

Is it better to run a "RAID" or just one harddrive with lots of ram and a good video card for a gaming pc?

I'm looking for the best proformace i can get for my soon to be "monster" gaming pc|||A stripped raid will be faster at loading, however the cost to run a stripped raid may not actually be worth it, not to mention unless you're running RAID3 or greater losing a drive will lose half your data (making the other half useless).



And you'll only improve load times for the most part.



Edit: RAID1 will do almost nothing to improve performance, it's a redundant RAID for backup, RAID0 will double your chances of losing all your data while improving performance, other RAIDs require more drives than two.|||Invest in some 10k hard drives if you really want to see speed. Put them in RAID 0 or 1, which will do for home use.|||Ok 10k rpms like Western Digital Raptors are one option but for me i see it as a $/GB issue so i would rather RAID 0 a couple of 500GB/32mb cache HDDs for like $240?|||My last rig had 2 10k hard drives in raid 0. I was ALWAYS the first one on a multi-player map becouse my maps would load faster than anyone elses. If you can afford two 150 GIG Raptors you should get them. I am thinking of getting 2 solid state drives in raid 0 cuz 10K Raptors are not INSANE enough anymore!!! LOL

No comments:

Post a Comment